Welcome to the Green Forums! Please Register For Free Now!
The Green Forums member base includes well over 3,000 green forums members and 9,000 green forums posts! Be green and join our green community by registering for free today! Registration will give you full access to the Green Forums and takes just a moment to complete.
Please Join Us Right Now!
The ABC Affiliate in Houston, Texas, KTRK-TV, is going to host a Houston E-Cycle Drive on Earth Day, April 17th. Here are some details from http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/feature?...ity&id=6735980
KTRK-TV has devoted an entire area of its website to green information. For those interested see: ACTION 13 GREEN TEAMHouston E-Cycle Drive
ECYCLE ACCEPTED ITEMS:
ITEMS ACCEPTED - COMPUTER-RELATED ELECTRONICS:
CPU - computers (IMPORTANT: See Hard Drive Security Concerns below)
3. Computer Mouse device
7. Fax machines
8. Power cords
9. All cords such as Ethernet, printer cable, USB cable etc.
10. Cell phones
11. UPS (Un-interrupted Power supply)
13. Telephone and switches
14. Computer motherboards & finger boards
15. DVD players
16. Game consoles
18. Satellite receivers
20. TV's no greater than 36"
ITEMS NOT ACCEPTED
1. Dumb terminals (used as viewing device for main frame)
2. Monochrome monitors (Black and white, old monitors, single color)
3. Household electrical items
IMPORTANT INFORMATION - SECURITY CONCERNS
Recycling Your Cell Phones:
If you are bringing in cell phones for recycling, it is YOUR RESPONSIBILITY to make sure the cell service is shut off on the phone. Most cell phones offer a "master reset" feature in the menu, which will wipe all data (contacts, recent calls, etc) from the phone and restore it to a factory state.
Recycling Your Computers - Hard Drives:
If you are bringing your computer from home for recycling and are worried about personal contents in your hard drive, you have THREE options:
1. Remove the hard drive (and smash it up or use it in your new computer)
2. Erase your hard drive (format it using any variety of programs; e.g., boot-n-nuke)
3. Leave the hard drive in the computer. The hard drives in all computers dropped off at ABC-13 during the drive will be recycled by ABC-13 vendor CompuCycle, The hard drives will be destroyed and shredded at vendor's facilities, using industrial hard drive shredders.
CITY OF HOUSTON WESTPARK RECYCLING CENTER
Recycling TVs, Household & Other Electronics
The following items can be conveniently recycled at the City of Houston's Westpark Recycling Center, located at Westpark and Fountainview. The Center offers convenient drive-through services for the drop-off of household electronics (toasters, grills, vacuum cleaners), DVD players, stereos, game consoles, VHS decks and satellite receivers - as well as computer-related items. For more information, click on the following link: City of Houston eGovernment Center.
KTRK Television Inc is not responsible for donated computer equipment or its handling by any third-party recycling companies or organizations.
Last edited by rbinck; 04-03-2009 at 05:45 PM.
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)